Sunday, June 08, 2008

Cracking ubuntu 8.04 to work with nVidia 8200 chipset motherboard


Upgraded my 2 years old nVidia 6150 motherboard to the new nVidia 8200 motherboard recently.

Using the latest ubuntu 8.04 installation, Hardy Heron's 2.6.24 kernel simply don't work with the new chipset. The basic SATA2 controller, onboard LAN & the onboard 8200 3D chip are all not supported under the 2.6.24 kernel. Although ubuntu 8.04 can be installed with a all_generic_ide option, performance should be degraded substantially & also, no amount of tweaking with the settings can get the onboard LAN & onboard 8200 3D chips to works

The nice surprise is that, Fedora 9's 2.6.25.5 kernel works flawlessly with the new 8200 chispet. SATA2 controller & onboard LAN. The onboard 8200 3D chip requires the latest nVidia 173.14.5 to work though.

It was understood that nvidia 173.14.5 driver will support the 8200 3D chip but will not work with the 2.6.24 kernel in ubuntu 8.04.

So, here is my attempt to install customer kernel in uBuntu to work with my latest motherboard acquisition.

Following the guide from

http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

I've compiled & installed the 2.6.25 kernel in ubuntu.

And with the new kernel , one can finally remove the 'all_generic_ide' option from the kernel option to take advantage of the new SATA2 controller. Edit the grub boot options as follow:

sudo vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

And to install the latest nVidia 173.14.5 driver, one need to boot to native console to install.

In Fedora, one will edit /etc/inittab to change run level from 5 to 3 to boot to native console.

In ubuntu however, one needs to issue

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

then do

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.05-pkg1.run

to install the latest nVidia driver.

Upon reboot. Viola, finally have the nVidia driver working with the 2.6.25 kernel.

Update Jun 10, 2008,

It seemed my custom-compiled kernel has missed out some sound modules & ends up the onboard sound is disabled in ubuntu.

According to the Master Kernel Thread at [url]http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=311158[/url]

Troubleshooting:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Q. My High Definition sound (Azalia) does not work with the new kernel!:

A. This took me a long time to figure out because I didn't have sound either. You have to enable the Intel HD (Azalia) module in Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, even if it isn't Intel.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So, after recompiling the kernel enabling Device Driver, Sound, PCI Device, Intel HD Audio option, the sound is ok & the OS is perfect now for my nVidia 8200 chipset motherboard.

11 Comments:

Blogger iliandj said...

I recompiling the kernel enabling Intel HD Audio option on my nVidia 8200 chipset motherboard, but get very bad crackle through speakers.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Dr. Asplund said...

I just did an install last night, and I wanted to post my experience.

1. On the boot screen from the CD, I hit F6 for "More Options", and added the all_generic_ide to the end of the boot line, and did an normal install.

2. Following the install, I re-booted, and when I got to the GRUB screen, I entered the menu, hit "e" to go into edit mode, went to the second line, and hit "e" again to edit the boot command line, and then appended all_generic_ide to the line, and hit "b" to boot up.

3. I did all updates to the OS, and re-booted, but this time I didn't edit the boot line at all, and everything seems to work

4. I tried using the restricted NVIDIA video driver, but it absolutely did not work.

5. I downloaded the NVIDIA driver, and did an install, but it still would not work because the nvidia kernel module did not match the video driver.

6. After a bunch of time, I realized that I needed to delete all nvidia.ko modules from the restricted_modules section of /lib, and then re-do the install of the NVIDIA driver.

7. My only problem now is that there is a terrible flicker to the screen whenever there is heavy I/O, and I don't know how to fix that.

I am running KDE Heron 64 bit edition, with an AMD 4450e on a Biostar GF8200 motherboard, in case that matters.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Alistair McKinlay said...

Hey,

I have this motherboard as well, however, and I have upgraded to 2.6.26 kernel, however, when I have the sound on, there is a terrible crackly. Do you have any idea why this is?

5:15 PM  
Blogger E.G.T環境養生儀 said...

房屋
廠房
工廠
農地
土地買賣
農地買賣
廠房出租
廠房出售
工業用地
廠辦
營造公司
豪宅設計
別墅設計
建築設計
舊屋翻新
農舍
住宅設計
綠建築
蓋房子
自地自建
房屋自售
屋主自售
信義房屋
租廠房

2:16 AM  
Blogger 陽宅風水能量儀MRTs(GET-3S) said...

女生生日禮物
禮品贈品
禮品
生日送禮
個性商品
企業贈品
男友禮物

2:54 AM  
Blogger 陽宅風水能量儀MRTs(GET-3S) said...

禮品網
女朋友生日禮物
小禮物
中秋節禮盒

公關禮品
年節禮品

2:55 AM  
Blogger 陽宅風水能量儀MRTs(GET-3S) said...

尾牙贈品
找禮物
男生情人節禮物
男朋友禮物
生日蛋糕

3:00 AM  
Blogger 陽宅風水能量儀MRTs(GET-3S) said...

生日快樂祝賀詞
生日卡片
生日賀卡
壽星的生日快樂
生日快樂賀詞
生日快樂歌
生日優惠餐廳
生日花束

3:03 AM  
Blogger 陽宅風水能量儀MRTs(GET-3S) said...

租屋網
591租屋網
台灣租屋網
城市租屋族
591租屋
台中租屋
高雄租屋
台南租屋
租屋子
租屋族
新竹租屋
中壢租屋
591租屋族
台灣租屋
591租屋族網
竹北租屋
高雄租屋網
桃園租屋
永慶租屋

3:38 AM  
Blogger 陽宅風水能量儀MRTs(GET-3S) said...

城市租屋
台中租屋網
城市租屋網
中時租屋
台中租屋族網
花蓮租屋
高雄租屋族網
永慶租屋網
嘉義租屋
台南租屋網
中時租屋網
台中 租屋
屏東租屋
板橋租屋
台北租屋網
租屋王
台中市租屋
台東租屋
台北租屋族

3:39 AM  
Blogger 陽宅風水能量儀MRTs(GET-3S) said...

519租屋網
高雄 租屋
彰化租屋
林媽媽租屋網
宜蘭租屋
台南 租屋
鯨魚租屋
高雄市租屋
新竹租屋
租屋591
學生租屋
免費租屋網
台南市租屋
新竹租屋網
基隆租屋
新莊租屋
崔媽媽租屋網

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home